The Central Bank of Nigeria, in collaboration with all Nigerian banks launched a centralized biometric identification system tagged Bank Verification Number (BVN).
The Bank Verification Number (BVN) is an initiative aimed at protecting bank customers and further strengthening the Nigerian banking system. With the increasing incidents of compromise on conventional security systems (password and PIN), there is a high demand for greater security on access to sensitive or personal information in the Banking system. The BVN exercise is mandatory for all account owners.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
BVN stands for Bank Verification Number and it gives each customer a unique identity across the Nigerian Banking industry which can be used for easy identification and verification at the point of banking operations.
For customers living in Nigeria
- Visit any of our branches for enrollment and biometric capture.
- Fill an enrollment form
- Provide a means of identification
- Receive Ticket ID
- BVN will be sent to your mobile phone via SMS
For customers living in Diaspora, the Nigeria Inter-Bank Settlement System (NIBSS) in partnership with Online Integrated Solutions (OIS) and VFS Global has introduced a convenient process for customers in Diaspora to enroll and link their BVN to their Nigerian Bank accounts.
Follow the enrolment steps below:
- Logon to Online Integrated Solutions (OIS) or VFS Global website
- Select Location
- Click on the BVN Enrollment tab
- Read BVN Enrollment Instruction
- Download BVN Enrollment form
- Book BVN Biometric Capturing Appointment
- Print Appointment Booking Slip
- Visit BVN Enrollment Center on the Appointed Date with Enrollment Requirements.
- – Valid ID (Driver’s License or International Passport)
- – One recent passport photograph
- – Enrollment fee or evidence of payment of enrollment fee
- Upon successful enrollment, link your BVN to your account on PolarisXperience or call the Yes Center
It takes 24hrs after enrollment to receive your BVN. You would be informed via an SMS alert once it is generated.
Dial *565*0# from your registered number to retrieve your BVN.
If your BVN enrollment was done in any of our branches, your account will be automatically updated with your BVN information.
For BVN enrollment in diaspora or any other Nigerian banks, you can update your BVN information with us via
- A call to the Yes Center
- A visit to any of our branches
No, only adults (18 years and above) can be enrolled.
Your facial features will be captured as fingerprints will not be required for amputees.
Customers with injuries or bandaged fingers are advised to return for enrollment once fingers are healed.
For more information, please visit http://www.bvn.com.ng